Engineer - Toolbox Bomber
Note: Please note that builds will default to plain icons, these may not be as accurate. We apologize for the inconvenience.
- An Engineer build for PvE players without the Path of Fire expansion. This build deals high damage and is highly versatile thanks to its plethora of kits. However, the sheer number of skills available means this build has a high learning curve. Players who aren't comfortable with the complexity can instead play Engineer - Elixir Bomber.
- Utility Skills
- Rocket Boots - for getting around faster.
- Rifle Turret - more single-target DPS than Elixir Gun.
- Personal Battering Ram - heavy crowd control on a short cooldown.
- Flamethrower - for tagging mobs in group events with Flame Jet.
- Elite Skills
- Elixir X - if you need stability or heavy crowd control.
- Static Discharge - if you don't need a stun break.
- Takedown Round - if you don't need swiftness.
- Kinetic Battery or Gadgeteer - if you don't need endurance regeneration.
- Ascended gear and stat infusions are not required; you can use exotic gear with the same stats.
- The Standard Variant uses the same gear as the Holosmith - Power DPS build for fractals and raids. This makes it a good general-purpose gear set and is the gear that most players should aim for.
- The Optimal Variant is the best possible gear for this build. It's overkill in most cases, and you should only get it if you have spare gold or you don’t care about fractals and raids.
- provides high sustain at the cost of damage.
- For a tankier option you can run this mix of Marauder and Valkyrie stats. You lose about 10% damage but your health is increased by over 40%.
- If you're having trouble you can use the following consumables:
- Scoop of Mintberry Swirl Ice Cream for more healing.
- Your burst damage opener:
- Engineer has a lot of invisible cooldowns to manage. The best way to remember them is in multiples of Shrapnel Grenade.
- Every 5 seconds, you should use Shrapnel Grenade.
- After every second Shrapnel Grenade, you should use Blunderbuss and Fire Bomb.
- After every third Shrapnel Grenade, you should use Acid Bomb.
- After every fourth Shrapnel Grenade, you should use Jump Shot (followed by Blunderbuss and Fire Bomb).
- N.B. The cooldowns of Blunderbuss and Jump Shot have been reduced since writing this guide, but the basic principle is the same.
- In between Shrapnel Grenade, fill with Bomb autoattacks, Freeze Grenade, and Poison Grenade.
- Use Grenade Barrage off cooldown.
- Big Ol' Bomb is worth using for damage. However, be aware that Big Ol' Bomb will launch enemies in all directions, making them more difficult for yourself and nearby players to cleave.
- Flash Grenade, Smoke Bomb and Flash Shell can be used to blind enemies.
- Jump Shot and Acid Bomb can be used to get out of trouble.
- Remember to always dodge and sidestep attacks if possible. Don't get hit by anything you can move out of.
- Use Healing Turret to cleanse conditions and top yourself off. You can pick it up for a cooldown reduction, or detonate it to blast the water field for more healing. Acid Bomb and Big Ol' Bomb are additional blast finishers you can use.
- Never leave your Healing Turret out: the healing you get from the passive regeneration is worse than if you pick it up and put it down again.
- Regenerating Mist and Elixir Shell provide a small amount of healing.
- Super Elixir cleanses a condition and provides a light field. You can blast the light field for more condition cleanses.
- Flash Shell has another light field.