Necromancer - The Terrormancer Core Spec
Note: Please note that builds will default to plain icons, these may not be as accurate. We apologize for the inconvenience.
A Core Necromancer build that focuses on using the Fear condition and Corrupting boons to turn the tables on your enemies. But this build relies on the player's awareness and skill at positioning themselves in order to enter a fight without being the focus. (This will be explained in the tips and tricks section of this build).
- When going up against Condi Mirage, Rangers, Deadeye other projectile based characters and power based characters, Corrosive Poison Cloud is invaluable. Why? It applies weakness to your targets and it blocks projectiles. It also synergizes well with Rune of Aristocracy which gives you might when you apply Weakness to foes. That said, it can be replaced with Can't find such skill "Spectral Ring"! Please refer to our skill index. when Daredevil's or Sw/D thieves, Weaver or other highly evasive are on the opposite team. Pinning a Weaver into a corner where he/she cannot dodge or evade because of a well placed ring will leave you in tears of laughter. It is also good against Mirage as well so it is a decision that the player has to make on which utility to take for which situation.
- This is used to strip boons off of targets with stability or even just targets with too many boons. It can be replaced with when fighting multiple targets who would prove dangerous with their stability boons up.
- If you want to win fights against other condi classes, this is your trump card. It's also a great stun break as well. That said, if there are no condi classes on the enemy team, would be a great pick to replace Plague Signet. Spectral Walk also removes conditions but seeing as Plague Signet slaps conditions back on the enemy, it forces them to face their own music which can turn the tide of a fight.
- Plaguelands single-handedly wins many team fights. That's it. Just drop it on a downed body whether an ally's downed body or the enemy team's downed body and even if the you are downed doing it, you might just take the entire enemy team with you.
- Why aren't you running Spectral Walk/Flesh Wurm?
Because I find I don't need it most of the time. They are quite powerful skills for running away from a fight or tricking people but they have never been a main skill in this build. I've never found a need to use them because good positioning has removed the need to use them.
- What About Signet of Spite?
Not necessary. It offers no real benefit seeing as there are more versatile options to take.
Variants You can replace the Spite Specialization with either of the new specializations.
- Why Spite over Death Magic or Blood Magic?
Might Stacking and Vulnerability application. Both of these boost your damage by quite a bit. Not to mention the traits in Spite synergize better with what this build is trying to achieve; great damage with conditions and fears.
- & Dread Dread Both traits apply Vulnerability. This is chosen mainly as a way to apply cover conditions for the more damaging conditions. That said, vulnerability also increases condition damage which makes these traits useful for this build.
- 600 range boon removal that also gives you retaliation, perfect for fighting multiple targets.
- Apply torment when fear is applied. Adds more damage to this build. This can be replaced withif you feel the need to in order to beat Mirages.
- Without this trait, this build won't work.
- This trait also improves damage. In addition to that it changes Feast of Corruption to Devouring Darkness which apart from doing what Feast of Corruption did, it now also converts boons to conditions on up to 5 targets in a 360 radius from 900 range. It works well for this build.
- Makes all staff Marks unblockable and allows these skills to give life force. Essential for playing Staff.
- A long time ago this used to be just 50% duration increase to fears applied and players had to specc to get 100% duration on the fear condition but now, we don't even need to work for it. They've decided to just give it to us without any work. So this trait is essential to get the most out of your fears.
- Makes entering Shroud a stun break which helps with your survivability quite a bit.
- Why no Weakening Shroud?
This is because Devouring Darkness grants another AOE boon stripping skill, making the build more effective at dealing with the boon spam meta. If a player feels they do not need the extra boon removal though, Weakening Shroud works very well too.
- The Necromancer is not a class with tons of dodges so having Energy on both weapons is very important.
- Used on the scepter to speed up the auto-attack for a few seconds. This is useful also because you have the Warhorn on this hand as well. In certain situations the quickness will be useful with the Warhorn, allowing you to land the Daze much quicker to perform a chain CC.
- Superior Sigil of Exposure Used to increase the amount of vulnerability you stack right at the start of a fight to force the target to use their condition cleansing skills when no pressure has been put on them.
- This rune synergizes well with Corrosive Poison Cloud, granting you might-stacks as you apply weakness allowing you to get might much faster and right at the outset of a fight rather than over time. This also synergizes well with the trait . This can be replaced with Traveler Runes(provides 25% increased movement speed) or (provides an extra 2s fear when you use an Elite skill) I often use this rune because it just adds another layer of annoyance to the enemy. It works even better when you're running Reaper Condi, you'll be applying chill when you fear so people will be moving slowly inside of the skill; Plaguelands.
- Wanderer's Amulet Wanderer is a near perfect fit for this build due to it's application of toughness and Expertise.
- GENERAL ROTATION
Start with Staff, Use Chillblains then, Mark of Blood then Switch Weapons then use, Grasping Darkness and Devouring Darkness/Feast of Corruption then enter Deathshroud (wait for a split second to see if the target dodges or uses a skill to evade because most people know that as soon as a Necro enters Deathshroud, they will use their fear skill) then use doom, and use tainted Shackles. When Tainted Shackles pops it's immoblize, use Warhorn's Wail of Doom (this should interrupt their heal, then switch weapons to staff and fear the target again and apply the rotation from the beginning.
- Heavy CC pressure and a good Mirage. These can be quite annoying but ultimately you can defeat most things in the meta 1v1.
TIPS & TRICKS
- You can double tap Deathshroud(DS) in order to gain the stability so that you can heal safely.
- When going to the team fight at the start of the match, always hang back and be the last one to enter the fray. Take a different route to the mid point if possible. This is so that you're not immediately focused on and you can, for the first few minutes of entering the fight, use your abilities without anyone disturbing you. Always imagine that you're the shy kid in the class that always needs to sit at the back of the class just so no one sees you or hears you. Always find a way to get behind the enemy. Only get in the fray when necessary.
- Casting creates a poison field. Fields can be interacted with using leap, blast or projectile finishers. is a blast finisher. When a blast finisher is used in a poison field, weakness is applied. Chilblains + Putrid Mark.
- When fighting projectile based classes, dropping Corrosive Poison Cloud on yourself would be advisable at times. This is due to the fact that many projectile based characters can teleport around so placing the cloud on the target area is not always advisable.
Keep in mind that these videos are from 2 years ago. This was when we didn't have 2s fears from traits only. Your entire gear set had to be specced for it. Take a look at what the build was able to do even back then and then wonder why they felt the need to buff it.