Chronomancer - Phantasmal Chaos
Note: Please note that builds will default to plain icons, these may not be as accurate. We apologize for the inconvenience.
- A PvP Chronomancer build which utilises Chaos and Illusions, specifically Bountiful Disillusionment, Phantasmal Haste and Persistence of Memory to maintain permanent uptime on a huge selection of boons, while still having high burst, DPS and utility.
Portal can be substituted if you feel you don't need it (This should be rare, if ever):
- Mantra of Pain - Burst Damage.
- Mantra of Distraction - Good for interrupts.
- Well of Calamity - Strong AOE damage especially when combined with Gravity Well
- Signet of Inspiration - Boons and group utility if you're involved in teamfights more often.
- Phantasmal Defender - Another Phantasm.
- Illusionary Defense Trades the Chaos Storm (Good for Aegis procs, daze on enemies) from using your heal skill for more consistent defense from power based attacks.
- Chaotic Interruption If you feel you can get a lot of interrupts off, this trait provides a lot of offensive support. It also has no internal cooldown, so a chaos storm placed into the middle of a teamfight can very quickly provide a lot of benefits if it is interrupting frequently. The immobilise is also good for getting your burst off without enemies dodging it.
- This build is low on stunbreaks, but high on methods of avoiding CC. Blink is your only option of breaking CC if you're caught.
- Bountiful Disillusionment grants Stability on shatter, if you see CC coming that you can't avoid with any other means, use a shatter to avoid it.
- Illusionary Riposte deals reasonable damage if the block is triggered and will deal damage to a target up to 900 range away with very little tells, this is good for applying counter pressure to someone trying to set up burst or CC.
- Chaos Storm can provide multiple Aegis and Daze procs. Standing inside Chaos Storm and baiting your opponents inside of it can allow you to avoid a lot of attacks/CC through blocks and interrupting their skills. This can rapidly turn fights in your favour.
- If you're standing above an active portal from Portal Entre, you can use it while CC'd.
- This build is susceptible to heavy condition pressure.
- Your best methods of condition removal are:
Interactions with Persistence of Memory and other traits
- This trait allows for a huge range of boons to have permanent, or near permanent uptime on you, due to multiple factors.
- When you shatter with Bountiful Disillusionment, if your phantasms are in range, they will also get the boons from it. Depending on how many phantasms you have spawned at the time of shatter, this can increase the boon length you would normally get from these shatters to up to 5x their stated duration (if you hit 4 phantasms) as these boons will come right back on to you when the phantasms turn into clones.
- With Phantasmal Haste and 24px Phantasmal Force You will have nearly permanent Quickness and 25 Might.
- If your phantasms stand in Chaos Storm, you will get high levels of Retaliation and Aegis.
- Because your phantasms give you all of their boons when they turn into clones, in team fights they can be used to "soak" boons that your allies provide that you might not otherwise be in range for. This allows you to have an a lot larger effective fighting area, without having to ball up with allies. (This will keep you out of range of your allies heals though, so you need to chose wisely in how you operate)
- Due to the traits taken, phantasms make up a large portion of your Damage.
- Try to always lead Phantasmal Swordsman with Swap. If you have 25 might when summoning this phantasm, it can do upwards of 12k DPS by itself on first summon.
- Don't underestimate the damage that Phantasmal Warlock can do when buffed with 24px Phantasmal Force and Phantasmal Haste, it can provide solid power DPS that is hard for an enemy to evade, when you might lock yourself in staff while playing on the defensive.
- Phantasmal Disenchanter is a large part of your burst and utility, try to time your bursts for when the Disenchanter has stripped boons off of your opponent, leaving them vulnerable to CC, or just your damage after things like Retaliation,
- Disenchanter is also unblockable, so it can be used as a last resort hit of damage if an enemy is blocking on low HP.
- A lot of mesmer skills, but Phantasms specifically, can be cast without facing at your opponent. This can lead to powerful fakeouts where you cast the phantasms while running away, before quickly turning and locking down your opponent for a burst. Such as Phantasmal Warlock, weapon swap, Phantasmal Swordsman and Illusionary Leap while fleeing, then Swap, Blurred Frenzy, Mind Wrack and Cry of Frustration as your phantasms also jump onto your opponent.
- If you're Blinded, your phantasms won't cast at all, and will be put on full cooldown. This is deadly for this build, so make sure you strip the blind via using a weak attack such as auto attacking the enemy or using a shatter before the phantasm casts to prevent this.
Continuum Split (CS)
- Continuum Split allows you to use your skills twice. This skill also grants a few seconds of Resistance, you can consider using CS for that in some extreme cases where youreally need to survive and there's no other way around it.
- It's best used for double elite activation. Activate CS just before Gravity Well finishes casting, then unload as many shatters/Phantasms and skills in general as you possibly can while CS is active.
- Important: CS prevents capture point contribution, same as Distortion. If you're the only one holding a point, try to keep the time spent in CS to the bare minimum.
- Phantasms, Wells, and applied boons will still persist after CS ends.
- Strong Disengage, such as Spellbreakers and Theives. If they don't know how to disengage well, they will most likely lose the fight.
- Heavy Condition pressure. While you have a lot of tools to avoid being hurt or hit at all, the conditions that do hit, will stick quite well as you're low on condition cleanses without blowing big cooldowns. Try to avoid taking fights where conditions are unavoidable.