Holosmith - Protection Sword/Shield
Note: Please note that builds will default to plain icons, these may not be as accurate. We apologize for the inconvenience.
- A Holosmith build for running around in open world. This build comes with the strong baseline AoE damage and crowd control Holosmith is known for, while also providing the ability to sustain through heavy damage with Protection and Iron Blooded. This makes it a good choice against enemies with very high damage or for players who aren't confident in their dodging skills.
- For a similar build that sacrifices defense for more damage, see Holosmith - Static Sword/Shield.
- Utility Skills
- Photon Wall - provides a block on demand and a toolbelt skill that deals good damage.
- Elixir Gun - versatile utility kit with condition cleanse, AoE damage, and a stun break.
- Thumper Turret - provides a reflective shield and higher protection uptime if running Inventions, see below.
- Personal Battering Ram - heavy crowd control on a short cooldown.
- Rocket Boots - for running away from things.
- Flamethrower - for tagging mobs in group events with Flame Jet.
- Elite Skills
- Prime Light Beam - more raw damage if you don't need the utility of Elite Mortar Kit.
- Elixir X - if you need more stability or heavy crowd control.
- Protection Injection - if you're getting stunned a lot.
- Prismatic Converter - more condition cleanse.
- You can run Inventions instead of Firearms to be even tankier. This sacrifices a lot of damage and usually isn't worth running, but is included for the sake of completeness. If you take this run Thumper Turret instead of Elixir U.
- Automated Medical Response - panic heal if you screw up.
- Autodefense Bomb Dispenser - if getting stunned by trash mobs a lot.
- Ascended gear and stat infusions are not required; you can use exotic gear with the same stats.
- The Standard Variant uses similar gear to the Holosmith - Power DPS No Kit build for fractals and raids. This makes it a good general-purpose gear set and is the gear that most players should aim for.
- The Optimal Variant is the best possible gear for this build. It's overkill in most cases, and you should only get it if you have spare gold or you don’t care about fractals and raids.
- For an even tankier option you can run this mix of Marauder and Valkyrie stats. You lose about 10% damage but your health is increased by over 40%.
- If you're having trouble you can use the following consumables:
- Scoop of Mintberry Swirl Ice Cream for more healing.
- Try to stay between 50% and 150% heat at all times.
- Your highest damage skills are Photon Blitz, Corona Burst, and your Photon Forge autoattack chain; use them whenever available.
- Holo Leap is worth using as a gap closer.
- While not in Photon Forge, just use your sword skills off cooldown.
- Never interrupt your autoattack chain as most of the damage is in the 3rd hit. This applies both inside and outside Photon Forge.
- Elixir U provides Quickness for a large damage increase.
- Use 24px Prismatic Singularity to pull mobs together.
- If you can't get close to your target, you have a decent ranged autoattack in Elite Mortar Kit. If you plan to stay ranged for the whole fight consider slotting Grenade Kit and 24px Crystal Configuration: Storm.
- Holographic Shockwave is an incredibly powerful AoE crowd control skill. Use it to keep enemies knocked down while you unload your damage. 24px Prismatic Singularity is another useful skill for interrupting enemies and pulling them into your zone of control.
- Hard Light Arena provides a zone of heavy damage reduction and healing over time.
- If running Thumper Turret you can place it for even more pulsing protection.
- Static Shield can be used to block attacks.
- Spectrum Shield is a versatile defensive skill. You can use it to mitigate incoming damage or save it to use as a stun break.
- Use Magnetic Shield to counter projectiles.
- Flash Shell (from Elite Mortar Kit) can be used to blind enemies.
- Remember to always dodge and sidestep attacks if possible. Don't get hit by anything you can move out of.
- The healing from 24px Heat Therapy, 24px Compounding Chemicals, and Healing Turret can sustain you through minor damage.
- You can pick Healing Turret up for a cooldown reduction, or detonate it to blast the water field for more healing. Magnetic Inversion and Holographic Shockwave are more blast finishers you can use.
- Healing Turret cleanses conditions. If you're having trouble with conditions, you can trait Prismatic Converter.