Thief - Basic Thief
Note: Please note that builds will default to plain icons, these may not be as accurate. We apologize for the inconvenience.
A solid core thief build that can be used in most areas of open world. This build is ideal for playing by yourself or with a small group but thanks to its high mobility and the nature of it can perform very well in zergs.
- Dagger (mainhand) - high mobility if paired with pistol, higher DPS if paired with Dagger (offhand)
- Dagger (offhand) - can provide extra evades and Stealth via ; pair with Dagger (mainhand) for high DPS, or with Sword for spammable evades and boonrip.
- Pistol (mainhand) - grants access to if paired with Pistol (offhand); very high burst damage
- - instant heal + evade
- - stealth
- - alternative stun break + condi cleanse.
- - reliable stun break
- - cc
- - to escape from enemies or stealth past them.
- - high burst on a long cooldown
- - strong crowd control if there are allies nearby.
- is a massive damage boost but at the cost of most of your sustain.
- / - use if taking daggers
This variant provides additional defense in the form of extra dodges through and sustain from .
- Ascended gear and stat infusions are not required; you can use exotic gear with the same stats.
This set uses gear similar to Daredevil - Power DPS, making it an excellent option for general PVE
- Any ascended food is superior to any other food you could use. Steak for power, flatbread for conditions.
- - Use for general farming.
- - Use for when you need to max out magic find.
- - more sustain
- Anything - Any food is better than none, but you should prioritize the food above before using any other food.
- , , - general farming
- This food assists with more difficult content, such as bosses or bounties. Ascended versions of these are available and should be used when possible.
- - permanent Fury when farming trash or with a zerg
- - extreme sustain when farming trash or with a zerg
- - a huge boost to damage when farming trash or in a zerg
- , - DPS food
- , - Defense and Might
- - Lifesteal
- , , - Damage Reduction Food
- , - Damage
- This build is very easy to play. Spam as your main source of damage and defense. It evades for a long duration and deals decent damage while also healing you from and stacking .
- Against groups of trash mobs, use followed by two full auto-attack chains. Repeat until dead.
- Use to destroy projectiles and blind enemies.
- Use for CC, especially when near other players so they can also gain its benefits.
- Shortbow gives you excellent ranged tagging potential, mobility, and even some CC.
- Use to get around quickly. This skill can take some effort to use, but having your abilities set to Ground Target with Range Indicator (quickcast) can be a good help.
A lot of new thieves are unaware how potent their Combo Blast potential is.
What is Blasting?
Blasting allows you to use a skill which is a Blast Finisher inside a Combo Field to produce an effect. There are lots of combinations, but the two most relevant for thief are Fire Fields and Smoke Fields.
- When Blasted, Fire Fields grant Might to the blaster and nearby allies. Might is a massive damage increase!
- Smoke Fields grant the blaster and nearby allies stacking Stealth duration. This means you can help your party bypass some encounters entirely.
How to Blast
Some classes have a lot of different ways to blast, but most of them don't match thief's blasting potential. Thief blasts through the use of on Shortbow.
- Aim the into the combo field and release it. Some combo fields are tricky to hit; if the skill doesn't land just right it may not grant the bonus.
- To get the maximum potential, you need to blast quickly. However, has a second set of damage that the thief can activate by using the skill while a charge is still in the air.
- In order to blast quickly, you must wait for the existing charge to explode before using again. If you re-activate it before it lands, it will not blast.
This method can take a bit of getting used to due to the small delay on 's landing. Practice using the skill in fields to get it down just right.
Thief Combo Fields
The most reliable combo fields for thief to use are and . By using these, you can stealth up to five people, including yourself. This stealth has a maximum duration, so it's a good idea to stack it and then move, finding a spot to stack again before the existing stealth runs off.
In a good party, the thief will only need to use a few blasts; the party will contribute some of their own. Five blasts is sufficient for max stealth, so a common tactic is to use with a few blasts from the thief and a few blasts from the party to very rapidly stealth before moving to a new area and repeating the process.
- Note that you must have Autotarget turned off in the settings to do this efficiently.