Thief - Dagger/x Deadly Arts
Note: Please note that builds will default to plain icons, these may not be as accurate. We apologize for the inconvenience.
- A Thief build for PvE players without access to expansions. This build has excellent mobility and deals high damage against single targets.
- You can carry a Shortbow for mobility or open world farming.
- Healing Skills
- Signet of Malice - if you take very little incoming damage.
- Hide in Shadows - if having issues with burning, poison, bleeding, or confusion.
- Utility Skills
- Shadowstep - alternative stun break, a mobility skill that also cleanses conditions.
- Roll for Initiative - another good stun break.
- Smoke Screen - blinds enemies and destroys projectiles.
- Tripwire - if crowd control is needed.
- Shadow Refuge - to escape from enemies or stealth past them.
- Elite Skills
- Invigorating Precision - if you need healing. If you take this take Thrill of the Crime to keep up fury.
- Ascended gear and stat infusions are not required; you can use exotic gear with the same stats.
- The Standard Variant uses similar gear to the Deadeye - Power DPS D/D build for fractals and raids. This makes it a good general-purpose gear set and is the gear that most players should aim for.
- The Optimal Variant is the best possible gear for this build. It's overkill in most cases, and you should only get it if you have spare gold or you don’t care about fractals and raids.
- provides high sustain at the cost of damage.
- Lead Attacks is your main damage multiplier in this build. Spam Cloak and Dagger into Backstab to burn initiative and quickly accumulate Lead Attacks.
- Remember to actually backstab your target. Frontstabbing deals miserable DPS.
- If the target is below 25% health, you should spam Heartseeker instead.
- Alternatively, if you need blinds or defiance bar damage, you can use your pistol skills.
- If you're out of initiative or have Lead Attacks maxed out, just autoattack until you need to burn initiative again.
- Use Steal and Haste off cooldown for boons.
- Your main source of damage mitigation is Black Powder, which pulses blindness. For more blinds you can use Smoke Screen.
- Headshot is a zero-cooldown daze that can be used to interrupt dangerous attacks.
- Death Blossom can be used as an evade.
- Dagger Storm evades for a very long duration while still dealing damage.
- You can use Heartseeker in the smoke field from Black Powder to stealth yourself and disengage.
- Smoke Screen destroys projectiles. You can also use Dagger Storm for more projectile defense.
- If you feel that you're dying a lot, you can trait Invigorating Precision.
- Haste and Withdraw can be used for condition cleanse. In a pinch, Signet of Agility also cleanses conditions.
- If you have lots of trouble with conditions, consider running Shadowstep, Roll for Initiative, or Hide in Shadows.
- Stealth is one of the most useful tools available to Thieves. Use Shadow Refuge to channel hero points or sneak through otherwise dangerous places.
- If Shadow Refuge is not enough, you can blast stealth. To do this, equip a shortbow, place a Smoke Screen, then spam Cluster Bomb in the smoke field.