This build is a versatile teamfighter that provides an excellent mix of high AoE damage and support through auras, healing, and boons.
For a more supportive version of the build swap out Air Magic for “Water Magic. It will let you share auras from weapon skills and overloads for overall more healing (and provides extra condition removal), but you give up sustained AoE damage and movement speed.
As a Tempest you provide on point damage and support using your overloads and shouts. In general you should try to be in teamfights as much as you can where your AoEs and heals will be most effective. This build can work relatively well 1v1 due to high sustain and diamond skin, but you’ll want to avoid fighting non-condition builds that are built for 1v1s.
Whenever you apply an aura you also receive Protection due to
which makes your auras an even stronger tool of defense. You also get a heal from Elemental Bastion and fury/swiftness from Zephyr’s Boon if running Air. Auras are:
- Envelop yourself with electrical energy that stuns nearby foes if they attack you. Each attaker can be affected by this only once every 2 seconds.Overload. Use your air magic to summon a nimbus that repeatedly strikes nearby allies, then create a lingering static region that strikes enemies at the same interval. Using this skill causes the attunement to have a longer recharge.
- Overload. Create a surge of accumulated water magic, healing and cleansing allies. When the cast ends, heal the area and apply regeneration. Using this skill causes the attunement to have a longer recharge.
- Fire Aura Fire Aura from Fire and Overload. Unleash all flames you've accumulated, searing enemies and strengthening allies. Finishing the cast leaves a tornado behind. Using this skill causes the attunement to have longer recharge.
- Overload. Ride your stored earth magic around, granting protection to other allies you move over and crippling enemies, then deliver a final blast of power to the area. Using this skill causes the attunement to have a longer recharge.3Initial Stability(3s): Cannot be knocked down, pushed back, pulled, launched, stunned, dazed, floated, sunk, feared or taunted.
- Using your auras for sustain is critical to your success as a Tempest. Each shout will apply an aura to you and nearby allies and damage enemies and provide you and your allies a decent heal.
- ”Wash the Pain Away!” ”Wash the Pain Away!” Is a very powerful AoE heal for yourself and allies. Try to coordinate it with your allies so they receive each pulse of the channel to maximize the healing they can receive. The first pulse heals the most but has the smallest radius, while the other two pulses have a lower healing value but larger radius.
- You will want to use Gw2skillObsidian Flesh when focused to help survive, as overloading will make you a target of focus pressure more often.
- In general, decide when to overload carefully. Overload Air is your go-to offensive skill, use this whenever you’re not being heavily pressured to leave a devastating AoE on the point. When running Fresh Air you can use it even more frequently by getting a critical hit after leaving air after and overload to refresh its cooldown instantly. Overload Fire provides burning, a fire field, and decent mightstacking to your team, Overload Water provides a lot of healing and regeneration, and Overload Earth provides lots of protection to allies, has more stability on channel, and applies bleeds to enemies. When you overload, watch your positioning carefully to make sure you’re doing damage to an enemy or healing an ally but use the radius of the overload to stay out of direct AoEs and cleave to ensure your overloads don’t get interrupted. Do not overload if you’re being focused in a teamfight, although Overload Water can sometimes save you if you time it right and don’t get interrupted.
- High Chill uptime, as chill affects Attunement and Overload cooldowns and Overload charge-up times.
- Heavy condition pressure in teamfights once diamond skin is broken (If not running soldier runes variant).
- Heavy Interrupt pressure while overloading, especially from Dragonhunter and Chronomancer.
- Twitch: Phantaram - NA