Catalyst - Celestial Hammer Roamer
The community gave this build a rating, making it top-tier: Great
Designed for: WvW Roaming
A hybrid Celestial Hammer Catalyst build for WvW roaming, offering a strong mix of damage and sustain.
For the optional slot:
- - significant boost to your sustain as well as some aura synergy and even the autoattacks can hit hard.
- - adds much needed mobility to a rather slow build. Makes it easier to chase enemies or escape to the highground.
Rune of Speed's 6th bonus helps with both sticking to targets and leaving them behind which is quite nice on a build with very little mobility. If you think you'll be fine without the speed boost, other viable options include:
- - pure sustain, good boon duration.
- - the 6th bonus helps a lot vs conditions especially when running .
- - cheap and tanky alternative.
If you're new to the build you could trade the current sigils for more defensive ones until you get used to it, but you do lose a considerable amount of instant burst damage by doing so:
- or or
Elite specialization basics
- Catalysts gain access to Deploy Jade Sphere which drops an AoE combo field with pulsing boons depending on the attunement they were used in.
- The Jade Sphere costs energy to deploy, you build energy by hitting enemies or swapping attunements thanks to .
- Your role is primarily to be a sidenoder, holding the point and winning smaller skirmishes.
- Skill #3 on each attunement is an orb skill, consider this your secondary profession mechanic. Air and Fire grant offensive bonuses while Water and Earth supply you with defensive ones. All 4 orbs also pulse damage and apply conditions around you while active:
- on Fire increases your damage
- on Water grants condition damage reduction.
- on Air increases crit chance.
- on Earth reduces direct damage.
- Each orb has a duration of 8 seconds, but whenever you add a new orb to the mix the duration of all previous orbs is refreshed. Once you've rotated through all 4 attunements the orbs will inevitably fall off - this is when you should use the chain skill which shoots them at your target for damage.
- Try to use Grand Finale in your Earth Sphere's field whenever you can to combo Poison. The healing reduction could be important when fighting other bunker specs.
- Because of you should almost always be casting something for the passive healing, even if it's just an autoattack that's not even hitting anything. An exception to this would be having high enough Confusion stacks in which case you'd take more damage then the signet could heal.
- You gain Stability whenever you gain an aura thanks to . The easiest way to get an aura is to swap to for a proc. This is instant and can even be done while casting skills or sitting in a CC, preventing enemies from piling more CCs onto you.
- Other sources of auras include performing any combo in your Jade Sphere via or using .
- is a channeled block - the aura is applied after you block something. This gives you a little bit of time to swap attunements before that happens and get an aura of your choice as the aura is granted based on your current attunement.
- (the elite) is used mainly to reset the CD of skills 4-5 of a given attunement, usually Water or Earth for defensive purposes.
- Try to have and active when unloading your harder hitting skills.
- grants a short duration of Fury whenever you swap attunements. It's not much, but just enough to cover your next 1-2 skills so consider using some harder hitting skill right after swapping.
- As swapping elements doesn't interrupt your casts, you could even boost your crit chance through this while casting a skill. All you need to do is swap attunement before the skill lands.
- Most of the burst comes from , every skill here hits hard.
- is a cone attack best used in melee range to make sure all 3 projectiles hit the target.
- creates 3 AoEs on the ground - try to position this in a way that your opponent is in the center of this skill so they get hit by all 3.
- is rather straightforward, just a big smash you should aim to land when the target has Burning. All the other Fire skills apply Burning so that shouldn't be hard.
- Air is mostly about CC, but skill #2 hits rather hard. Only downside is, this has a rather long cast time and you'll have a hard time landing it without proper setup. Try to CC targets beforehand and make sure to have Quickness from your Air Jade Sphere.
- and are also worth a mention on Earth. The latter could even set up other burst skills with the Immobilize.
- All of your utility skills are defensive by nature.
- The build only has 1 stun break in the form of so use it wisely. If you're good at reading your opponent this could even be used preemptively for the Blind, making the incoming attack miss instead of waiting to get hit only to break the CC. If CC isn't a concern in the matchup then the same logic applies, the signet could save you from getting hit by something dangerous.
- is for buying time and surviving heavy pressure. With a block, an aura, a CC and an invulnerability frame this could bridge the gap in your defenses until your other CDs come back up or help arrives.
- Use pretty much on CD for the barrier and the aura.
- Water provides much needed healing and cleansing. heals you for each enemy struck with the first one healing for more. Against enemies like Mesmers try to hit as many clones as possible for bonus healing. Consider using it inside your Water Sphere to combo even more healing (and for further damage mitigation).
- is your best cleanse, this too scales with the number of enemies it hits.
- cleanses a condition whenever you apply an aura to yourself.
- heals and cleanses when used on Water while the first dodge on Earth turns into a blast finisher. Once again, try to land inside a combo field for that sweet synergy. As the Jade Sphere is instant you could even drop a combo field on the middle of your dodge.
Upgrade to premium membership and take advantage of all the premium benefits, including complete ad removal across the entire website, for less than $1 per month! Upgrade