Mesmer - Core Power Mesmer
The community gave this build a rating, making it second-tier: Good
Focused on: Strike damage
Designed for: Open World, Open World General and Open World Core
Core Power Mesmer open world build that has really good burst damage and good sustained damage. It also serves as a good introduction to the Mesmer class as a whole, needing to rely on its clone generation and shatters to succeed.
- Focus - can replace offhand sword to trade some damage for the really strong ability to pack mobs together with .
Most mesmer utility skills focus on utility instead of damage. This build recommends and for a balanced mix of damage and utility. But you can consider other options.
- - phantasm that Taunts, but it has a really long cooldown and bad damage.
- - a utility skill used to transport yourself and others. Useful to shorten distances when looping back to areas or during jumping puzzles.
- - to reflect projectiles.
- - if you need multiple successive stun breaks.
- - if you need to cleanse dangerous conditions.
- - if fighting champions or bounties with defiance bars.
- If you are not using a greatsword, replace with .
- If you are levelling up your character, unlock your specializations in this order: Domination -> Illusions -> Duelling
- Ascended gear and stat infusions are not required; you can use exotic gear with the same stats.
- This set uses the same gear as Build:Virtuoso - Power DPS, making it good for general PVE. This is because it is simply not worth it to get a gear set optimised for core mesmer. It relies on virtuoso's trait to reach 100% critical chance.
- If you do not have stat infusions, switch your head armor to Assassin stats.
- Any ascended food is superior to any other food you could use. Steak for power, flatbread for conditions. Budget versions of these foods exist and are acceptable.
- - farming
- , - DPS
- - defense
- (and variants) - farming
- , - dps
Your highest damage skills are , , , and .
The general idea behind the build is to use all your Phantasm skills, then reset their cooldown with , and use them again. This provides really good burst damage and good sustained damage. All of these phantasms will become clones after attacking, allowing you to shatter them for great damage with . You could also use for crowd control or for invulnerability.
Against bosses and other durable enemies, try to follow this opening burst.
- from range
- Weapon swap before entering combat
- Weapon swap
- in melee
- Auto attack. Most of the auto attack damage comes from the third skill,
- Cast with 3 clones.
- If you want to minmax, you can use if Mind Wrack is on cooldown and you know you will have 3 clones again by the time Mind Wrack comes off cooldown. If you're unsure, just don't use Cry of Frustration because it is a minimal damage increase.
- Cast whenever you have 2 charges.
- will interrupt whatever you're doing (except using your heal skill) to cast it. So be careful not to interrupt yourself during an important skill like .
Defense and sustain
- Remember you can dodge attacks with , or block them with .
- is an amazing skill to make yourself invulnerable, with the duration increasing with each clone shattered. If the boss is doing a long attack you can use Distortion to completely ignore it and keep doing damage.
- You have essentially no sustain but, in exchange, you deal really high damage.
- If you find this playstyle too complicated you can swap for . This simplifies the rotation by reducing the number of times you use phantasms, and you can get more healing and more often from Ether Feast, but is a huge damage loss.
Enjoy an ad-free experience & support the website, for less than $1 per month! Upgrade to Premium