Open World Builds are builds that excel in killing large amounts of mobs in a group or very strong mobs by yourself. They can be viewed in three categories: Event Builds, Solo Builds, and Tagging Builds. You can determine what kind of build you're viewing by looking under the Build Purpose section on each build.
- Event Builds are meant for group content, such as world bosses or map-wide meta events. They perform best when they can support, and be supported by, other players. Most Event builds focus on one or a mixture of AoE Damage, Healing, Support (Boons or CC), or Survivability. Good examples of the best place to run these builds are The Claw of Jormag, Auric Basin's Octovine, or the Domain of Istan's Palawadan event.
- Solo Builds are builds specifically designed for soloing open world content. This could include anything from killing off powerful champions by yourself to tearing through a Heart of Thorns Hero Point. They specialize in high performance without support from other players and often do not perform as well as Event Builds in large groups. Solo Builds will mostly focus on high Damage and Survivability. Good examples of places where these builds thrive are difficult Hero Points, soloing story bosses, or killing dangerous Champions and even Legendary creatures in Open World.
- Tagging Builds are highly specialized builds meant to hit as many creatures as possible in a given frame of time. These builds are extremely specific to their niche and will not perform well in your average Open World Event or Solo scenarios. They focus entirely on Mobility and rapid AoE Damage. You would typically use these builds on events with very little damage requirement such as the Mad King's Labyrinth or Specimen Chamber.
Many builds are being updated over the next month - Expect changes!
About This Section
When new players ask what build they should run, veterans often answer with “any build is viable in open world.” While this might be true for veteran players, it doesn't help players who are still learning the game. For someone coming into level 80 maps for the first time, or trying to do story instances alone, running with a random unoptimized build can be immensely frustrating.
These builds are designed for players who need help with open world and story content. They're divided into three sections reflecting different situations one might want to build for in open world. Each build provides suggestions about what gear, traits, and skills will be the most effective and provide the best chance of success.
Many of these builds feature two equipment variants: a "Standard" variant which shares gear with common fractal/raid builds, as well as an "Optimal" variant for players who have spare gold or aren't interested in group content. They also list variant traits and skills that are worth swapping to in specific situations.
To all new and returning Guild Wars 2 players, we hope you find these builds useful!
Q: Can I play these builds in dungeons, fractals, and/or raids?
A: No, these builds are for open world. When joining a dungeon, fractal, or raid group, you should play a Fractal or Raid build. Many of these builds have a Standard gear variant that allows you to easily swap to a similar fractal/raid build, which is linked in the same section that the gear variant is listed.
Q: I don't have the right stats/runes/sigils/unlocked traits for this build. Can I still play it?
A: Yes, but your effectiveness will be limited. Having the right gear and traits is important for maximizing a build's potential. You can still run a build that's close to the recommended build, but you should work your way up to the right gear/traits eventually.
Q: I haven't reached level 80 and don't have these skills/traits unlocked. What should I do?
A: Under level 80, most content is trivially easy, so you shouldn't worry about running the absolute best build. Instead, you should try out different weapons, skills, and traits to learn how they work. If you start finding story missions/normal enemies difficult, make sure you're wearing gear appropriate to your level.
Q: I find it really hard to survive with glass cannon stats. Are there any other options I can use?
A: Some builds require high damage to function, but with most you can easily substitute in a few pieces of defensive gear if you find yourself having difficulty staying alive. We advise changing out trinkets before weapons or armor.
- Power builds: Add Marauder's or Knight's gear. Valkyrie trinkets are also excellent.
- Condition builds: Add Trailblazer's or Carrion gear.
Q: The build suggests (X weapon/skill/trait) but I find (Y weapon/skill/trait) more fun to use. Can I use that instead?
A: Sure! In most cases open world is more forgiving than other content, and running something slightly suboptimal is not going to cause a major dent in a large group's damage output. In general, you should bring one of four things to the table: Damage, Crowd Control (CC), Healing, or Boons. As long as you can provide a large amount of at least one of those, you'll be fine.
Q: I would like to contribute suggestions/gameplay tips/new builds. Where do I start?