Spellbreaker - Defense Boonbreaker
The community gave this build a rating, making it top-tier: Great
Designed for: PvP Conquest
A duelist Dagger/Hammer Spellbreaker PvP build that focuses on CC and boon removal with plenty of high damage finishers to take advantage of stunned and boonless enemies.
Viable choices for the optional slot:
- - mobility, CC, even an evade frame for sustain.
- - extra sustain and some group support.
- - defense against CC and strike damage.
- and could help you deal with conditions better, but it's going to cost you some damage and Stability access.
- is also a viable option especially with on Defense which makes the adrenaline gain from less relevant.
- - helps a bit in condition matchups.
- - less tanky rune with higher crit chance.
Elite specialization basics
- (FC) recharges your Burst skills and . Always try to use it when you can refresh their duration, except if you're under heavy pressure in which case you can use FC purely for defensive means.
- Always try to make sure Full Counter goes off: briefly move into hostile AoE spells, tank Mesmer clones or Ranger pets, etc.
- FC is both one of the best defensive and offensive skill in the build as it blocks, evades, grants Stability, and performs an unblockable AoE CC attack when triggered.
- Both burst skills and Full Counter cost adrenaline. If you only need a little more until you can use them then can get you there.
- reduces the CD of weapon swapping to 5 seconds, which keeps gameplay rather fast paced with minimal downtime. As a result you won't be auto attacking much unless you're cleaving a downed enemy.
- Despite its range is best used in melee to make it harder to react to.
- CCing a target removes a boon and deals damage/grants adrenaline via .
- grants you half a bar of adrenaline on weapon swap. This might not seem like a lot, but it's quite useful especially in situations where you're under pressure and don't have the adrenaline to activate . Instead of scrambling to build some a adrenaline a simple weapon swap could get you there.
- Movement skills remove Immobilize from you. List of movement skills in the build:
- Dagger/Shield: , and .
- Rampage: , , and .
- Both sets are capable of doing a lot of damage, especially with the proper setup.
- When it comes to bursts Hammer is all about landing on CC'd foes for extra damage.
- is the only true ranged skill on this set (not counting Earthshaker which is a melee leap). The Cripple makes it easier to catch up to fleeing targets so it has some value other than just doing great damage.
- (BS) deals significantly more damage against boonless targets, Hammer and its synergy plays an important part in setting up this skill.
- While itself removes boons, the bonus damage is calculated before the boon removal, which means if the target has any boons when this skill lands you're not getting the damage increase, even if Breaching Strike removes all of their remaining boons.
- Going BS ⇒ ⇒ second BS increases the chance of getting the bonus damage on the second Breaching Strike and also makes good use of .
- The two best skills for the proc are and .
- procs an Immobilize whenever you stun or daze a target. This is more relevant on the daze, as dazed targets could still move freely if it wasn't for this trait.
- No Escape turns into a great setup tool for burst chains, allowing you to immediately go on the offense even if you were being pressured. and are both great followups for the short immob.
- Landing any Burst skill can chain enemies to you via . While active the tether passively stacks Might for you, increasing your damage while also preventing enemies from entering Stealth. If either of you goes past a certain range the tether breaks but the target gets pulled to you, which makes it a rather powerful CC tool as well.
Conditon cleansing & general survival
- provides a steady stream of cleansing in combat to help manage condition levels before having to blow CDs.
- cleanses 5 conditions and should be used pretty much on CD, assuming you're missing a large chunk of health or need to deal with conditions.
- (SIO) is both a stun break and a source of condition removal for you and your team.
- is great if you want to run away from pressure as it can build quite the gap while providing an evade frame.
- is the best defensive skill you could have against direct damage but it has to be used preemptively (unless you used it to break stun). Keep in mind that you're still vulnerable to condition damage, CC, and even life steal from skills such as !
- Even could be used defensively as a ground targeted escape tool. A mobility skill is never a bad thing to have for kiting, and with this you could even jump over gaps in the terrain, forcing some specs to go around or blow CDs.
- is what you use when you quickly want to burst/CC a target, or desperately need mobility to either chase down someone, or run away from a fight.
- CC skills barely do any damage anymore, most of the damage in this form comes from autoattacks and .
- is a popular opener, allowing you to CC targets from range and then either follow up with for burst damage or to keep the CC chain rolling.
- Twitch: Keyba
Enjoy an ad-free experience & support the website, for less than $1 per month! Upgrade to Premium