Dragonhunter - Symbolic
Note: Please note that builds will default to plain icons, these may not be as accurate. We apologize for the inconvenience.
A formidable skirmisher for PvP with a bit of team support.
Archive note: fell out of use, forced out mostly by powercreep. It did fine for a while but can't really compete with most meta 1v1 builds (most notably anything mesmer), and as far as guardian support goes nothing comes close to Firebrand.
For the optional utility slot:
- Fragments of Faith - a defensive option with stabiity, stun breaking and Aegis.
- Test of Faith - a more damage oriented version.
- Sword over Scepter: this trades ranged damage and better symbol uptime for more mobility and cleave.
- Protective Reviver can help a lot with reviving allies.
- Protector's Impact adds another symbol to the build but the mace symbol will no longer have ~100% uptime.
Free-to-play users can replicate this build with moderate success by replacing Dragonhunter with Virtues:
- In this case take Litany of Wrath as your healing skill and Judge's Intervention for the optional slot.
- Blocking attacks removes conditions via Hunter's Fortification, making Shield of Courage one of the build's strongest condition cleanses.
- Dodge rolls heal and the removal of Aegis heals allies, try to provide as much support with them as possible.
- Use Symbol of Faith on cooldown.
- If you're fighting with an ally always try to use Protector's Strike near them for extra support. Protector's Strike is also one of the hardest hitting skills in the build and in most cases should be used immediately after weapon swapping to make sure it goes off while
- Ray of Judgment is mainly for condition cleansing and blindig foes while you're out of dodges/blocks, or to help allies stomp downed players by blinding them.
- Shield of Wrath is both an excellent defensive and offensive tool: as it's instant cast it can be used to block incoming burst even while you're CC'd. If the stacks aren't depleted after 4 seconds, the exploding shield can hit rather hard (while the shield will barely explode in a combat scenario, with proper timing it can be used to deliver an opening burst on unsuspecting foes). The blast finisher that comes with activating the skill doesn't have much synergy with the build, but it can help with stacking Swiftness or Stealth in combo fields provided by other party members.
- Despite having midrange attack skills, it's more useful in melee range where the autoattack is easier to land and you can stand in Symbol of Punishment for some extra Might stacks. In ranged combat it's mostly a filler weapon to have something to do while you're waiting for bigger CDs.
- Shield of Judgment is one of the few skill that grant Protection in this build, try to apply it to as many allies as possible to get the most out of it.
- Crossing the ring created by Test of Faith deals more damage than the initial trigger so attempt to force foes through it by pushing them out with Shield of Absorption and then pulling them back in with 24px Hunter's Verdict (chain skill of Spear of Justice), or by kiting foes through the edge. Shield of Absorption also provides a nice anti projectile field and some AoE healing.
Sword (if taken)
- Symbols, traps, and the sword autoattack chain will be the main sources of cleave damage in the build.
- Maintain Symbol of Blades as much as possible. Keep in mind that it's not just a symbol, this skill can also be used as a near-instant AoE blind which can be used to prevent key skills (such as a Reaper's Executioner's Scythe) from landing a hit, or as a gapcloser/mobility tool.
- Zealot's Defense is one of the hardest hitting skills in the build and a good way to deal with projectiles.
- Power-based spikes when blocks are down.
- Chain CC