Vindicator - Retribution Greatsword Roamer
The community gave this build a rating, making it top-tier: Great
Designed for: WvW Roaming
A Vindicator build with a healthy mix of sustain and damage for WvW Roaming.
Skill Bar Variants
- Staff over Sword/Sword - much better sustain and some extra CC, but we only recommend this against enemies with low sustain. Giving up the Sword set makes it way harder to win against tanky opponents, your damage might not be enough with Staff.
- Replacing all the Diviner pieces with Berserker stats is also a viable option if you're willing to give up sustain for more damage, or you already have a Berserker set and don't want to get Diviner. Both are fine, but right now we recommend Diviner because the build has access to plenty of strong boons and good Might stacking and Vigor + Resolution uptime is important.
- - higher mobility to help you build (or close) the gap between you and the enemy, decent defensive stats.
- - great stats all around and some damage mitigation.
- - this and other oyster consumables are decent (and cheap) defensive options if you can't afford the ascended feast.
- - cheap non-ascended option.
- or , whichever is cheaper.
- Invoking a legend resets energy to 50 (ideally 60, more on that later), removes 1 condition, and procs . Swapping legends is basically the main resource management tool in the build - swap whenever you're out of CDs, low on energy, or need to cleanse. As the CD on legend swap is 10 seconds you want to plan ahead with your energy pool accordingly.
- Vindicators have access to 3 legends in a way, but swapping between the Kurzick legend Saint Viktor and the Luxon legend Archemorus does not proc legend swap related traits and class mechanics.
- You can swap between the two with (F3 by default).
- allows for permanent Swiftness uptime. The easiest way to trigger this is to turn either or (if you chose Jalis) on and off every 5 seconds.
- The build works just fine from 1v1s to teamfights, although you can make certain tweaks to specialize in a given role.
Damage, mobility, CC, minor sustain through evasion and condition cleansing
- is a skill with life steal, which means the damage it deals bypasses any damage mitigation including Protection or even . That being said it still can't go through evasion or invulnerabilities such as . It's not a great healing skill, so most of the time it'll be used to boost your burst damage.
- can augment any skill and increase your damage output significantly while active. It's quite expensive though, so don't maintain it for more than a few seconds at a time, use it only for bursts. Note that it's only single target damage, doesn't cleave.
- Always stop maintaining this skill if you're about to hit 0 energy - turning it off sends it on a 1 second CD while running out of energy results in a 4 second CD.
- is great for initiating fights from range and immediately starting off with Quickness coupled with unblockable attacks. Quickness can be used to do burst damage or cleave downed targets better through auto attacking, while the unblockable attacks could seal the fate of enemies relying on blocking as their last resource option for sustain.
- won't be used often because it exhausts most of your energy pool, leaving you defenseless and with barely anything to capitalize on the CC. This should only be used to set up kills for your teammates, or to interrupt very important channels like a rez or a stomp.
Weapons and damage
- Greatsword is the set you'll be using to pressure targets, but it does have some defensive capabilities too.
- is great for blocking attacks under pressure and could be used not only as a gap closer but also a gap builder (just make sure you don't have an enemy targeted). These are not purely defensive skills though, their damage shouldn't be underestimated either.
- and are great AoE skills, but the latter deals more damage against single targets.
- Archemorus adds a bit of reach to an otherwise very melee focused build with and . Use these to poke from a safe distance if you don't want to go melee for some reason. The Spear has a huge delay so you could even precast it in a fight and line it up with other damage sources for burst damage.
- Swapping legends doesn't cancel .
- These skills have value in any fight not just in ranged scenarios. When your offensive weapon skills are on CD these will help you keep the target pressured.
Ranged burst combo example:
- Staff is the defensive set in the build, offering ways to avoid damage via and or AoE cleanse conditions through .
- While Archemorus is an offensive legend with plenty of damage, most of the time you'll be swapping to because either you or an ally is under pressure and you need Saint Viktor's help. In teamfights you're more than just a damage dealer, keep an eye on allies too as you have some tools for helping them.
- is an excellent source of AoE condition cleansing, something the build otherwise desperately lacks. Your best way of dealing with conditions is not getting hit by them, luckily the build has plenty of block/evade frames.
- Tip: if you need to cleanse a lot of conditions and you're on Shiro, try to use first. This way you'll potentially get rid of a few non-damaging conditions, increasing the chance of cleansing the damaging ones.
- Both Shiro and Saint Viktor have tools for evading attacks, these are and . With only 1 dodge bar these will come in handy, along with the block from .
Upgrade to premium membership and take advantage of all the premium benefits, including complete ad removal across the entire website, for less than $1 per month! Upgrade