Spellbreaker - Strength Dagger
Welcome to the Builds Archive. See the ones that gathered dust, were orphaned by their original writers, or became obsolete by balance patches. We keep the orphan builds together and salute the veteran builds that held a position in the good, great, or meta categories. Click here to view current builds.
Designed for: PvP Conquest
A duelist Power Spellbreaker PvP build with a good mix of defense and offense.
Archival note: fell out of use, got overshadowed by the Defense variant
For the optional slot:
- - a great defensive option against both burst damage and CC. Currently the most popular option.
- - a versatile skill which heals and restores some endurance through trait synergy, breaks stun, and even adds some extra burst.
- - bit of a niche skill, not very popular right now but it's a short CD stun break with AoE CC, synergy, and even some Stability which could be used to make harder to interrupt. This CC also works on downed enemies which is great for disrupting skills like or just denying rez attempt in general even if the enemy has Stability by knocking the downed enemy away from them.
If you want higher sustain trade Strength for Defense:
- - a more tanky option.
Elite specialization basics
- (FC) recharges your Burst skills and . Always try to use it when you can refresh their duration, except if you're under heavy pressure in which case you can use FC purely for defensive means.
- Always try to make sure Full Counter goes off: briefly move into hostile AoE spells, tank Mesmer clones or Ranger pets, etc.
- FC is both one of the best defensive and offensive skill in the build as it blocks, evades, grants Stability, and performs an unblockable AoE CC attack when triggered.
- Both burst skills and Full Counter cost adrenaline. If you only need a little more until you can use them then can get you there.
- Settings: disable auto targeting, otherwise it'd be impossible to use skills like for disengaging.
- Playstyle: this build is all about weaving hard hitting skills into chains of block and evade frames while tethering yourself to the target with as often as possible. The combos aren't set in stone, rather you'll need to adapt based on what CDs are available. Minimize melee contact, dodge/block/evade as many things as possible, and spike targets when an opening shows.
- Example: from outside melee range ⇒ dodge to your target ⇒ ⇒
- Any burst skill can proc , including .
- The goal is to maintain the tether as long as possible for the damage boost and synergy.
- , , and are your main damaging skills, everything else is basically a filler or something that's used to set up burst / survive enemy burst.
- reduces the CD of weapon swapping to 5 seconds, which keeps gameplay rather fast paced with minimal downtime. As a result you won't be auto attacking much unless you're cleaving a downed enemy.
- Despite its range, is best used in melee to make it harder to react to.
- CCing a target removes a boon and deals damage/grants adrenaline via .
- All movement skills remove the Immobilized condition - list of movement skills in the build:
- Greatsword: and . These two skills also provide excellent mobility both in and out of combat.
- Dagger/Shield: , , and the burst skill . The Dagger skills are also excellent gap closers.
- Rampage: , , and .
- briefly roots enemies in place after you CC them. This turns skills like and into great setup tools for your hard hitting abilities such as or .
Conditon cleansing & general survival
- and will be used to manage condition levels before resorting to mass cleanses.
- cleanses 5 conditions and should be used pretty much on CD, assuming you're missing a large chunk of health or need to deal with conditions.
- (SIO) is both a stun break and a source of condition removal for you and your team.
- Kite, a LOT. You want to run out of harm's way using mobility skills as much as possible before resorting to major defensive CDs.
- is great if you want to run away from pressure as it can build quite the gap while providing an evade frame.
- If taken breaks stun and refills some endurance in addition to a bit of healing thanks to .
- If taken is the best defensive skill you could have against direct damage but it has to be used preemptively (unless you used it to break stun). Keep in mind that you're still vulnerable to condition damage, CC, and even life steal from skills such as !
- is what you use when you quickly want to burst/CC a target, or desperately need mobility to either chase down someone, or run away from a fight. Bonus points if you manage to attach just before using your elite.
- CC skills barely do any damage anymore, most of the damage in this form comes from autoattacks and .
- is a popular opener, allowing you to CC targets from range and then either follow up with for burst damage or to keep the CC chain rolling.
- Using before Rampage can enhance your burst significantly.
- Twitch: Boyce
- Twitch: Ajaxx
- Twitch: Tramadex
- Magebane Roamer - the WvW Roaming version of the build.
Enjoy an ad-free experience & support the website, for less than $1 per month! Upgrade to Premium