Specter - Celestial Scepter Roamer
The community gave this build a rating, making it top-tier: Great
Designed for: WvW Roaming
A Celestial Scepter Specter build for WvW roaming, offering a strong mix of defense and offense. Plenty of condition pressure, boon spam, and even some burst damage.
- - AoE CC and extra condition cleansing.
- - useful boons and Well synergy.
- - stun break + evade frame and extra initiative. Also cleanses movement-impairing conditions.
- - strong condition burst and moderate CC, but it can be hard to utilize in open fields especially against ranged enemies. Consider equipping this skill when taking supply camps, especially if you can ball up the NPCs so they all get hit.
- - not quite as good under pressure as Withdraw and it's strictly worse against conditions, but has better mobility on top of Well synergy from traits and some AoE healing in case you're roaming in a group.
- is also a viable option if you need more cleansing.
- increases your damage while still providing health regen in combat via the life steal, but it's harder to get healing value out of this trait when you're really pressured and have to focus on survival instead of applying conditions.
- - defensive pick against conditions.
- - better burst damage, but requires some setup.
- - bit more defensive condition rune that could help against other condition builds.
- - it's like Trapper but with more HP instead of condition duration.
- Vital WvW infusions are good too if you're looking for a defensive option. On this build they grant extra value because vitality also scales up your shroud health pool.
- - consider replacing one of the S/D sigils with this if you're having trouble against condition specs.
- - good stats and passive damage mitigation.
- - mainly a budget defensive food that provides more frequent access to dodging.
- Optimal: or , whichever is cheaper (the difference beween them is negligible, a grand total of 2 condition damage stat in favor of Tuning Icicle).
- Budget: either from Canned Food Crates found in WvW s or purchased from the Permanent Portable Provisioner.
Elite specialization basics
- Specters gain access to their own version of called . Mechanically they are the same, replacing your skill bar while active. Damage taken while in Shroud drains Shadow Force instead of HP.
- Using (Specter's version of ) and spending Initiative builds Shadow Force.
- Most of your Specters skills double as support skills. While your role is to kill targets, a good Specter also keeps an eye on allies and helps them in critical moments by granting them Barrier.
- Because of Shroud you can be a bit more reckless with spending Initiative as Shroud skills are free and by the time you've rotated through Shroud skill your Initiative should be back to full.
- removes boons when used on enemies and Dazes them right after, allowing it to interrupt targets even through Stability.
- Offhand pistol's main purpose is to combo stealth with and to provide a quick interrupt via .
- Stealth stacking rotation:
- Most of the weapon damage comes from spamming skill #3 on Scepter: + .
- Scepter is the main weapon set of the build, the other one fills more of a utility/situational purpose. Sword/Dagger has good defensive skills, chase potential and damage.
- and are great at procing Quickness from which makes it much easier to land your Scepter #3 chain.
- If you're about to weapon swap from S/D consider using the ⇒ chain to stack Immobilize and proc in melee.
- On S/D you'll open with from range to leave an escape route with . Teleporting in and out can help you avoid damage, cleanse conditions, and do a setup with Immobilize. Sometimes all you'll be doing on this set is use these skills + the autoattack if you want to play defensively.
- On Celestial builds the + chain is more about softening up targets by stealing their boons boons with unblockable attacks (and evading incoming attacks in the process), but this chain is quite costly and very telegraphed and thus easy to avoid. Try baiting some dodges first, or use it when the enemy's blocking/channeling a skill. The Immobilize from could help with landing these skills too, even when used in the middle of it: port in, hit them with Flanking Strike, port out, and then back in for a Larcenous Strike.
- Skills 4-5 on S/D are rarely used, although is good for some ranged poking or killing Mesmer clones with the bounces.
- As for Shroud, skills 2 and 4 is where the damage comes from. The second skill is a ground targeted AoE which goes off after a short delay, or a proc might make it easier to land this right after entering Shroud. Skill 4 is a channeled point-blank AoE which is much easier to land. is great at setting up these slow Shroud skills too.
- The delay of Shroud skill 2 makes it ideal for comboing with skill 4, as you can make them hit at the same time.
- Burst combo example:
- Grasping Shadows (Shroud 2)
- Eternal Night (Shroud 4)
- Dawn's Repose (Shroud 3)
- Drop out of Shroud, keep spamming your Scepter 3
- The main sources of condition removal are , , and (Sword #2's chain skill).
- is the only stun break in the build but it's a double stun break with condi cleansing on top. Try to use other methods for cleansing first in order to preserve this for handling incoming CC.
- should more or less be used on CD for the boons, but you could hold on to it a bit longer if you feel like you'll need the Stability soon. Try to stay inside this well because each second you're getting a new boon.
Enjoy an ad-free experience & support the website, for less than $1 per month! Upgrade to Premium