Untamed - LB/GS Untamed Marksman
The community gave this build a rating, making it top-tier: Great
Designed for: PvP Conquest
A high damage Untamed burst build for PvP. Generally seen as one of the harder Ranger builds to play, Power Untamed is a formidable dueliest that can even pull its weight in larger fights when played right.
- over - trades unblockable attacks for a gapcloser that allows you to do "ranged" Greatsword bursts. Switch to on Marksmanship and consider taking for the extra Swiftness from trait synergy in order to compensate for the loss of the signet's passive mobility boost.
- over - with this you gain an extremely powerful CC that can easily guarantee kills on a rather short CD, but give up a valuable source of sustain for it. Makes the build less forgiving to play, but also to play against.
Wolf can be replaced by:
- Take when playing with more than 1 utility Cantrip.
- - higher sustain.
Elite specialization basics
- Untamed Rangers have more control over their pets than regular Rangers, allowing them to manually control their pet's 3 special attacks.
- Unleash is the central mechanic of Untamed. At any given time either you or your pet is in the Unleashed state, and you get to flip back and forth on a 1s CD.
- When you're unleashed, your first autoattack is empowered. Greatsword's turns into while Longbow's becomes . Unleashing yourself makes you deal more damage.
- Unleashing the pet grants your pet a damage reduction while their pet skills flip over to new ones:
- F1 becomes
- F2 becomes
- F3 becomes
- Use for mobility.
- has several uses:
- It can be used offensively for the Quickness, most notably to boost , , or Greatsword autos for downed cleave.
- Alternatively the Superspeed can help you escape damage or chase down targets while on Greatsword.
- Pet swapping acts as a Blast finisher thanks to . Being instant, you can have Smokescale place a under you (even while you're stunned), and swap pets for AoE stealth.
- is the easiest way to gain stealth in this build, but if the projectile misses then it won't be applied. To reduce the chance of that happening (and considering how the damage of this skill is insignificant) you should try to fire it at pets, mesmer clones, and other AI whenever possible. Alternatively, use it to quickly get rid of Blind or Aegis because it's the fastest projectile on this weapon.
- Smokescale's F2 is a useful combo field:
- Projectile finishers like and could Blind your target, increasing your sustain.
- While your pet is Unleashed, Smoke Cloud is replaced by which is a Blast finisher. Dropping the field, unleashing the pet and pressing the skill again could make your pet combo Stealth for you on his own. Such a good boy.
- or the trait proc from could be used to stack Stealth as well.
- Stealth fields are always valuable on any team! Consider dropping this for allies before arriving to a fight so they can make use of the field too.
- is one of your best survival tools but also one that has good synergy with your more offensive skills. Try to use and while this is active to reduce the CD of your elite, but anything works as long as you're trying to hit as many targets as often as possible.
- makes your Unleash ability remove 2 conditions every 10 seconds, which is your first line of defense against conditions.
- is for emergencies in case condition damage is starting to overwhelm you. Consider disengaging/repositioning right after or following up with Stealth so you have some time to recover. It's also a stun break.
- is both a stun break and an excellent skill for damage mitigation. Hold onto it in case you get stunned if Mutate Conditions is on CD, otherwise you get to use it a bit more freely.
- Every unleashed pet skill can be used defensively, and itself grants you damage reduction.
- is an instant source of ranged Blind via trait synergy that could also be used if you're CC'd or casting skills.
- applies Slow but only if the target is CC'd. It's still useful for preventing them from counterpressuring you after the CC.
- destroys projectiles while the Chill makes it easy for you to kite enemies caught in it.
- On Longbow your main combo is into . If the target doesn't have Stability you should open with this whenever you swap sweapons because that way you could squeeze in a second before swapping back to Greatsword.
- Make sure that you're the one who's unleashed during burst combos, not the pet.
- Once evey 15 seconds unleashed autoattacks become available: on Greatsword and on Longbow. You don't suddenly gain access to them whenever they're off cooldown, only when you use . This means that you need to be mindful of the hidden 15 second CD and do your best to unleash yourself at least once every 15-20 seconds in order to get the most out of these attacks.
- Whenever Fury is applied to you your next attack will deal more damage and be a guaranteed critical hit. This only works on the next strike and doesn't cover entire skills that deliver multiple hits like . On GS however benefits a lot from this. Sources of Fury applications in the build:
- Disabling a foe via . Both weapon sets have access to CC skills but GS gets the msot value out of this trait. Always try to use after , but even on Longbow could do decent burst damage after as Multishot is the most damage you can do in a single hit on bow.
- Swapping pets thanks to . This is instant and could even be used in the middle of casting skills to make them crit when they land.
- when playing with . This is another instant source.
- gives your pet a buff that increases their damage on their next attack. This is best used with either Tail Swipe or Chomp on Drake or Crippling Leap on Wolf.
The Longbow burst combo is rather simple:
Greatsword burst combo example (extended):
- Make sure you're on
- Optional - teleport in with right before your burst chain.
- Precast - the rest of the combo happens between this and Maul landing.
- Swap to Wolf to trigger which grants Fury and Quickness. Fury gives you for increased damage.
- Cast the pet's F1 (Crippling Leap) right as Maul's about to connect, the pet attack should go off after Maul (as Maul buffs the pet).
- Your pet should now have Attack of Opportunity as well as Opening Strike for maximum damage.
- your target for CC, hopefully a proc, and to refresh Maul.
Greatsword burst combo (short)
- to refresh Maul
- Twitch: Boyce
- Twitch: ROM
- Twitch: CarolinDnB
- Twitch: Thelshin
- Power Longbow Roamer - WvW Roaming version.
Enjoy an ad-free experience & support the website, for less than $1 per month! Upgrade to Premium