Daredevil - Power S/D Roamer
Note: Please note that builds will default to plain icons, these may not be as accurate. We apologize for the inconvenience.
A Daredevil take on Sword/Dagger WvW roaming. This mix of evasions, boon stealing, and unblockable damage makes for a great duelist.
- Take if you're having trouble facing condition builds.
- The ratio of Marauder and Berserker's gear pieces partly comes down to personal preferences. As a general guideline, try to aim for ~17k HP when getting the gear. Rune options and traits like can both affect your maximum HP so plan with those in mind.
- If you don't want to bother with take for more sustain.
- - another HP boost and the passive helps with chasing down targets/disengaging.
- - one of the best DPS runes, all damage no sustain with an easy to meet conditional 6th bonus.
- - good stats and passive damage mitigation.
- - same stats as the food above except with life steal instead of damage mitigation.
- - non-ascended version of the food above, without the sustain.
- - crit chance bump with armor ignoring damage procs which also heal.
- - mainly a budget defensive food that provides more frequent access to dodging.
- is replaced by which inherits all the traits from Steal, but has half the range. To compensate for that, Swipe is unblockable! We're still going to refer to this profession mechanic as steal/stealing for most of the guide.
- Dodge if you need Swiftness or extra mobility in general while chasing someone down or disengaging.
- The many dodges and evasions on weapon sets provide decent survivability for an otherwise very squishy profession.
- is the most powerful tool in a thief's kit and should not be wasted! Do not start fights with steal, keep it for the right moment (mainly to interupt important skills such as heals or elites).
- Steal refills endurance, grants initiative, inflicts Poison, does damage, heals for ~2k, and provides a variety of boons for you and your team. Its most important function however is the instant, unblockable interrupt.
The main set of the build
- Most of the damage will come from a combination of autoattacks and the chain.
- is an excellent skill for initiating fights or just closing gaps. If the terrain allows for it, it's recommended that you start fights with this skill from a place that break line of sight (LoS), like a wall or a pillar. This leaves you with an escape route via in case you get focused, and IR even provides some minor cleansing.
- Against dangerous targets with a lot of damage, keep jumping in and out of melee range with to minimize contact.
- Don't spam mindlessly. You will become easily predictible and locked in an animation while your enemy can set up burst. Find a balance between your autoattacks and Flanking Strike. Both this skill and its chain are unblockable. Larcenous Strike will be your main source of burst damage.
- is merely a filler for ranged poking in case going into melee range would be too dangerous and Short bow is on CD, or if you want to get rid of Aegis / Blind before jumping in. The bouncing attacks however aren't all that bad when it comes to clearing Mesmer clones.
- - although rarely used - is strong in its own right. Being the only source of Stealth in the build, this grants access to which can help with interrupting important casts (heal, stomp, etc.) when is on cooldown, and the stealth in general can help you lose aggro for a short while or even leave the fight entirely without being chased. Its high cost and long cast time however makes it a very situational skill.
- This is often used on AI (clones, pets, minions) because this skill is all about the stealth, not the damage, and AI won't dodge it therefore the odds of getting a successful CnD off becomes higher.
- being a spammable blast finisher has high value in groups when it comes to blasting fields for Stealth or healing (although they'll have to provide the fields).
- provides cheap and spammable evasion in case you're being focused by the enemy team and your defensive skills are on CD. Remains usable even while Immobilized.
- Use on downed enemies especially if they are being revived - Poison decreases healing gained by 33% which affects resurrecting speed.
- is mostly used for leaving fights if you're losing.
Utilities & elite
- is your best souce of cleansing, as it instantly removes 3 conditions. In addition to that, this also gives an entire dodge roll's worth of endurance which can be used as a last resort option for squeezing out more dodges when you're out of endurance and don't have time to heal. Keep in mind that the active portion of this skill is AoE! Try to use it near allies whenever possible.
- is easily the most versatile and one of the strongest skills in the build. It has 2 parts:
- The first half is a stun break and teleport, which already has countless applications. A few applications include teleport to safety while pressured, extending your reach in combat, or using the instant mobility boost to decap enemy points before using the 2nd part of the skill to leave just as fast.
- The second half is called . This skill becomes available for 10 seconds after using Shadowstep, and cures 3 conditions in addition to breaking stun again before returning you to your starting location.
- These can also be combined to safe stomp targets: begin stomping, away to safety, and then follow up with at the end of the animation in order to finish the target.
- is a defensive elite. The rather lengthy evade frame with increased movement speed makes it an excellent panic button when you're being focused by the enemy team.
- Note: skills like or are able to interrupt Dagger Storm, so don't be completely careless.
- Twitch: Blacksteeel