Ranger - Power Survival
The community gave this build a rating, making it second-tier: Good
Focused on: Direct damage and Control
Designed for: PvP Conquest
This build was last updated on March 16, 2023 and is up to date for the May 02, 2023 game patch.
A PvP Power Ranger build meant to win smaller skirmishes. Can be used by F2P players as well.
- - worse healing and cleansing, more Swiftness access and better boon uptime in general.
- over - trades sustain for a signet that's useful against any build that relies on blocking or projectile reflection for survival. Consider taking on Marksmanship.
If you do not own any of the expansions, take the following pets:
- Wolf for the first pet.
- Owl for the second.
- Take if you want to focus more on Longbow bursts.
- over - the build already has a fairly high critical hit chance and plenty of trait synergy that pushes it to 100% from time to time, but if that's not enough for you and want to make sure that your opening burst always crits then feel free to pick Intelligence.
- should be used just before leaving spawn to grant AoE Swiftness to the team through . In combat, to get the most out of the fact that it can grant you extra boons, try to use it if your pet has Protection and Quickness. Swapping pets in the middle of channeling your healing skill is something you should aim for.
- Dodging applies Protection, which also heals thanks to the trait .
- Survival skills cure 2 conditions and grant Fury. (if taken) can cleanse 4, because it triggers another Survival skill from .
- Use for mobility.
- has many uses.
- It can be used offensively for the Quickness, most notably to boost , , or Greatsword autos for downed cleave.
- Defensively by keeping your pet swap ready in case you need to cleanse 2 conditions.
- Alternatively the Superspeed can help you escape damage or chase down targets while on Greatsword.
- Pet swapping acts as a Blast finisher thanks to . Being instant, you can have Smokescale place a under you (even while you're stunned), and swap pets for AoE stealth.
- is the easiest way to gain stealth in this build, but if the projectile misses then it won't be applied. To reduce the chance of that happening (and considering how the damage of this skill is horrible) you should fire it at pets, mesmer clones, and other AI whenever possible. Alternatively, use it to quickly get rid of Blind or Aegis because it's the fastest projectile on this weapon.
- Smokescale's F2 is a useful combo field:
- Using before a burst makes it less likely to get interrupted whilst also increasing your damage.
- Most of the build revolves around burst combos and just surviving / using fillers inbetween.
The Longbow burst combo is rather simple:
Greatsword burst combo:
- Twitch: Boyce
- Twitch ROM
- Soulbeast - Sic 'Em Sniper - PvP Soulbeast elite spec version.
- Core LB Roamer - the WvW Roaming version of the build.
Hanz gave this build 3 stars • May 2023
Still a workable core build and a solid option for new F2P players who want to try Ranger in PvP. Does fine in both melee and ranged combat and has decent mobility/sustain, but has a hard time competing with most elite specs.
Barnacle Ed gave this build 4 stars • August 2022
I'd argue that this is currently one of the better builds available for F2P players and a better option than valk ranger - it's much more forgiving and allows more transferrable muscle memory for anyone who does wind up learning Untamed later. I personally prefer We Heal As One since it's a better burst heal, Entangle as the ultimate skill as a "panic button", and River Drake as the second pet option for AoE weakness. There's still plenty to like here if you don't yet have the expansions and want to get into SPvP!
Darkk matt gave this build 4 stars • November 2021
Use intelligence over cleansing on Greatsword, Rune of the brawler, Jacarda over the owl and it's a 5 star build. You have plenty of condi clear, brawler offers higher spikes and more sustain than divinity, birds die too easy to AoE and have been significantly nerfed.
Winters gave this build 4 stars • November 2020
I'd replace "Protect Me!" with "Sic 'Em!" to counter Thieves, especially with the current overpowered Daredevil builds where they can evade/stealth for an infinite amount of times. Having "Sic 'Em" will allow you to have a clear shot with Rapid Fire for a good while before they can spam their evasion and stealth again. Overall a good build but I'd replace the rune with Rune of the Ranger for more DPS and crit damage. You're going to get one shot by Daredevils and Marauder Rifles so its better to do damage for the team than none at all.
RoyalPredator gave this build 4 stars • July 2020
The current best build for LB/GS, but it's far inferior compared to other classes's OP META builds. Viable against average and newbie enemies, but trashed versus godmode reapers, shattershtting mesmers and stunlock+spike revenants. GG balance... O.o
Ainesworth gave this build 3 stars • April 2020
Overrated. VERY strong against power matchups, but suck A LOT against condi and guardian matchups. I think, only bunker and condi builds are playable in this cancer meta.
Milon81 gave this build 5 stars • April 2020
Definitely OP in the current meta as a dueling spec. Tbh i do not understand why it is even on the good specs and not higher. That's good i suppose too many rangers already.
Vocal gave this build 5 stars • March 2020
Should have saved my previous comment in the wrong section, but to quickly state it: this build is incredibly strong, has a nice place in the current (March 23rd, 2020) meta. I'd change the default pets to Tiger and Raven (fury synergy with remorseless and mobility, respectively), but others work well for different purposes. I'd also include Sic Em as a viable utility option.
Majki83 gave this build 5 stars • January 2020
@ADemonsniper.. U make me laught how u know nothing about pvp.. Rly p2w (though b2p but u know better ;p) ? Said to ppl who play core builds in p3. Im curently on this build and its a lot of fun.. especially when your crits perf land on oponents face. GS dmg is sick and long block + kick/push make this weapon rly cancerous if u know hot to use it - even when u land basic combo like gs:2 5 2 on quickness ppl often start to panic... Edit; after one month of playing - ok guys this build is rly strong rn and even too strong in some ways. U have big dmg burst on Gs, same on LB - so u r cancer on close and far range - also on both weapons u have 2x cc; gs 5, gs4 long block and kick// lb 4 and lb 5 with soft cc as a criple. Both pets taking big/too big dmg too - many ppl complain about that. Many source of condi cleanse and break stun, 3 ways to stealth, taunt. This build become rly cancerous and can make frustrated to play against. Gs after rework also became more powerful than before. Its good moment for this class.
Lil’ rookie gave this build 4 stars • August 2019
One of the funnest and sportiest builds. It’s got damage, condi clear and some mobility. But is it enough sustain? is the damage worth it? How well can u kite with it? Answers- not good enough. The build is very decent but sic em soul beast is just better. I play it a lot for fun though except with Vampirism Rune- which is same as meta just Way stronger.
SmithWesson gave this build 5 stars • February 2018
First of all don't use SIGNET OF STONE. this build has so much survive already. and use "We Heal As One!" for heal. it gives you extra regen and swift based on your trait MEGA HEAL AND SURVIVE. I think this build is one of the bests. But still not carry or something for ranger cause of meta. it's really effective in 1v1 if you know how to use it. and you can survive in 1v3 situations or something like that. it's stronger than any druid about to survive and you have effective power. I played many solo match with this. You can kill elementalist,thief,warrior easily with this. survive against necro and you can kill. against mesmer still so hard. and you cant kill any guardian with this dps and engineer is neck and neck. Also i use Mender amulet sometimes..you can revive your mates so fast with amulet and auto search and rescue skill that is depends on your trait.
EDDIE WRECKER gave this build 5 stars • December 2017
Good fun build for taking out necros and other cancer builds. After the latest patch giving some improvements to damage output with GS makes this build a little stronger. Made it to Plat 1 using this only solo. Lay down lots of dps to push em off points, 1v1, +1 fights and out rotate free cap when the heat is high. Once you get your skill rotations down it can be a build with a lot of survival.
SirKevalier gave this build 5 stars • August 2017
This is a very fun build. Amazing condi clear, mobility, burst, and survivability if you kite and manage utilities. With smart kiting and range management you can 1v1 most builds. Good at pressuring tankier people off the point with your LB #4 and burst. I take 3-3-1 Marksmanship over Nature Magic. I run it with 4 survivals: Unguent, Lightning Reflex, Quickening Zephyr (good for burst AND escape), and root elite. With Survival, 4 skills on your bar are condi clear and disengages, which are usually your biggest threat. Signet of stone, HEAVY cc and interrupts from dogs, GS, and LB make most power builds not a problem. Just make sure you retarget the thief in and out of stealth when on LB. Don't waste a single CD. Beastmastery is nice for the taunt to pull thieves out of stealth for you to then LB 4, Quicken, LB 2 to make them panic. Then GS out, block or dodge, hilt bash and maul them to finish them off. If you're smart, it will win most 1v1s. Bare in mind though, a ranger needs a foundation to support. Without tanks or condi control people sitting on point for you to back up, you're not providing much for your team unless you're decapping and winning 1v1s or kiting 1v2s wasting enemy time. You'll probably get shit for "not fighting on the point" But keep the point neutral and kite around to survive. Not dying is more important. Do not neglect your pet. Their cc can initiate, disengage, or even interrupt stomps. Your pet contro
Etakon gave this build 5 stars • February 2017
A very good and simple to use f2p build. Recommended for beginners learning the game. Damage mostly comes from rapid fire and long ranged normal attacks. Downside is that you can only support from far and is susceptible to sneak bursts from thieves, but thats what the escape skills are for.
Elarionus gave this build 5 stars • July 2016
I found to like this build substantially better than the current meta! Quite excellent, long range, and lots of burst to compliment it. Change out the pets for some of the HoT ones if you so choose, and then change it up a little with utility skills to make it more your own, and you're set! Incredible! I recommend Marksmanship over Nature Magic though, since the damage is what you're really after.
TaigaShinyouju gave this build 5 stars • May 2016
Only "real" counters are reflects. This build is solid and strong for non-HoT users.
Get MetaBattle Premium
Enjoy an ad-free experience & support the website, for less than $1 per month! Upgrade to Premium
Enjoy an ad-free experience & support the website, for less than $1 per month! Upgrade to Premium