Willbender - Radiant Swordbender
The community gave this build a rating, making it top-tier: Great
Designed for: PvP Conquest
A glass cannon PvP Power Willbender build that's all about massive burst damage (with ~100% crit chance when fully buffed) and exceptionally high mobility to chase down any target or avoid damage. Willbender is sometimes referred to as "blue Thief" because of the similar playstyle.
- - worse cleansing but it might work better under pressure due to the lower cast time (assuming it blocks an attack). The same's true the other way around, this could let you quickly recover some health while pressuring targets without skipping a beat. Both healing skills are popular options.
Amulets and runes
- More experienced players could go for with which is a higher risk/reward option.
- - in terms of damage Scrapper rune is 1-2% better on average, but Revenant raises your crit chance from ~96% (with Resolution) to 99%+ in case you want to ensure maximum consistency on your bursts. There's very little difference between these two runes in overall effectiveness, the choice is yours. The sustain is about the same, Revenant offers slightly higher HP in exchange for a bit less toughness.
- Resolution increases your critical strike chance by 40% via , pushing it to 100% while you have this boon. Always try to maintain Resolution or at least apply it before bursts.
- Every Virtue and shadowstep (teleport) grants Resolution from the traits and . Most of the time these skills are part of your burst combos so you don't have to worry too much about maintaining this boon.
- Every Virtue skill is a mobility skill on Willbender. Besides their base functionality they are great for sticking to targets or escaping damage.
- is refreshed after each kill so make sure you always have it on cooldown right before a kill. Using it also applies AoE Blind which can be useful for stomping or making high priority skills miss. It's also one of the hardest hitting skills in the build.
- Try to burn through all of your virtues before resorting to . RF is a great skill to use if you're being focues by the enemy team and you don't have any CDs left. Just keep in mind that this skill makes you lose capture point contribution for its duration.
- One of Willbender's greatest strengths is its mobility:
- Every virtue skill is a mobility skill.
- Both weapon sets have either teleports or leaps. Most of the teleports require a target, but you can get creative with that by doing things like selecting a far away enemy target and spamming teleports to get across the map faster, or selecting objects such as a Trebuchet on Battle of Kyhlo to leave enemies behind.
- is a good mobility skill even without a target as it makes you dash forward.
- Blinds are important even when bursting targets as Blind spam prevents them from counterpressuring you. , and all apply this condition on top of doing great damage. could fill a similar role as the Weakness is great for mitigating incoming damage while also pressuring opponents.
- grants you Stability and Resistance (among other things) which allow you to ignore CC and debilitating conditions like Weakness while bursting targets. Being a shadowstep (teleport) skill it could also reposition you right on top of your target so that you may follow up with or immediately for burst damage.
- The main source of burst damage here comes from the the offhand skills:
- is both defensive and offensive, deals solid damage while destroying enemy projectiles. Note that the damage of this skill can be very unreliable in anything but melee range. is a good setup for this too.
- has many uses: vertical mobility via teleportation, symbol for cleaving, Blind to make an important skill miss, or a combo field which can be used to combo Light Aura with a leap finisher.
- is the main burst skill in the build, make sure it lands - do an unexpected ranged burst with , or use it after pulling targets in with .
- When in combat, always try to combo in a Light field such as for Light Aura. Few things to note when using this for mobility:
- If you're OOC (out of combat), swap weapons just before the leap finishes in order to cancel the final part of the skill which would otherwise bring you to a halt.
- In combat this can be used for jumping away from the fight to avoid damage. To do that simply just detarget (click anywhere on your screen that's not an enemy player) before using the skill, and make sure that auto-targetting is disabled.
- is useful even when the target has Stability and thus cannot be pulled. The damage over time part of this skill is decent, and you could time it in a way that the target's stability runs out before Binding Blade does, allowing you to pull them in later. Note: while the initial projectile itself can be dodged, once the blades are attached you can pull targets out of any kind of evade frame! The blades also seek out enemies even if they are Stealthed.
Ranged burst combo example
- If possible, have an active Aegis to gain the damage bonus from.
- Weapon Swap to GS if you're not already on it (in combat this also procs your sigils).
- - start casting it from range.
- to teleport to the target right before WW starts doing damage.
- The build is rather squishy, Willbender relies heavily on its mobility to avoid damage, jumping in and out of fights to deliver burst damage while keeping melee contact to a minimum.
- is an excellent reactive skill which cleanses several conditions and even has an evade frame in case you need to dodge something but don't have the endurance.
- is worth holding onto for its passive in order to get free condition cleansing, but don't hesitate to use it on low health (and even its active can cleanse conditions).
- If taken (your healing skill) is best used when an attack is already coming your way or you're absolutely certain that you're going to be hit in order to get maximum healing (and block value) out of it. If you're not being focused but want to heal consider moving briefly into an enemy AoE skill.
- is a purely defensive stun break and your best answer against an overwhelming amount of conditions. Usually a last resort for when you're heavily pressured and other options don't cut it anymore.
- is an excellent and versatile defensive skill. Short CD, breaks stuns, grants boons, it's also a ground targeted ranged teleport which adds a lot of vertical mobility to the build. Leaving attackers behind while teleporting to the highground can save your life. As with most Willbender skills, it's not purely defensive - the AoE it leaves behind upon landing is a good source of cleave damage too, so you could sacrifice this skill to chase or pressure targets if you're fine with giving up a defensive CD.
- is also a stun break but most of the time it'll be used to execute burst combos from range. Worth holding onto for defensive purposes when every other stun break is on CD though.
- As long as you have you're somewhat safe. It's an incredibly powerful defensive skill which grants you immunity to incoming damage and CC (other than fall damage) when under heavy pressure, and refreshes all of your Virtues which could either help you stay alive longer or run away.
- Twitch: Naru
- Twitch: Josh
- Twitch: Cara
- Twitch: Torben
- Twitch: Guri Gashi
- Willbender - Radiant Swordbender Roamer - WvW version.
- Guardian - Radiant Greatsword - core/F2P version of the build.
Enjoy an ad-free experience & support the website, for less than $1 per month! Upgrade to Premium